In recent years Peter Pehani is mostly focused on automatic and semi-automatic processing of large quantities of satellite imagery. Mostly he is developing algorithms to process open access Copernicus programme data (Sentinel-2 optical images and Sentinel-1 radar images). He is also involved in different phases of processing of high and very high resolution optical data (e.g. RapidEye, SPOT and Pleiades, WordView-2/3/4, respectively), ranging from production of orthorectified images (*) to the thematic products of several thematic fields (e.g. natural hazards, forestry, statistics, land use/land cover).
He was integrator of development of the STORM – automatic near real-time satellite data processing chain, which was in early stages developed by the members of the Department of Remote Sensing ZRC SAZU under the framework of the Slovenian Centre of Excellence for Space Sciences and Technologies SPACE-SI. Over the last years development of the STORM is carried out mostly independenty of the SPACE-SI. Among several phases of STORM processing chain P.P. is primarily involved in development of submodule for image matching, i.e. matching between satellite data and vector road mask. This submodule is crucial for obtaining accurate ground control points (GCPs), used in later phases of orthorectification.
Recently he is also involved in the development of the processing workflow for NEMO-HD optical satellite data. NEMO-HD is the first Slovene satellite, operated by the SPACE-SI, launched in September 2020.
(*) Orthorectification is one of the main steps of optical satellite data processing. After orthorectification the image is properly geopositioned, and may be adequatly used with other spatial (geolocated) data. Image processed via orthorectification process is called orthorectified image or orthoimage.
- PEHANI, Peter – Nejc ČOŽ – Tatjana VELJANOVSKI – Žiga KOKALJ – Anka LISEC – Krištof OŠTIR, 2021, Automatic processing of Sentinel-1 sigma and coherence including special cases and anomalies: technical report, version 2. Ljubljana: ZRC SAZU, 52 p.
- MARSETIČ, Aleš – Peter PEHANI, 2019, Towards sub-pixel automatic geometric corrections of very-high resolution panchromatic satellite data of urban areas. Remote sensing 11 (9): 1-21.
- PEHANI, Peter – Klemen ČOTAR – Aleš MARSETIČ – Janez ZALETELJ – Krištof OŠTIR, 2016, Automatic geometric processing for very high resolution optical satellite data based on vector roads and orthophotos. Remote sensing 8 (4), online ed.
- OŠTIR, Krištof – Klemen ČOTAR – Aleš MARSETIČ – Peter PEHANI – Matej PERŠE – Klemen ZAKŠEK – Janez ZALETELJ – Tomaž RODIČ, 2015, Automatic near-real-time image processing chain for very high resolution optical satellite data. In: G. Schreier, P. E. Skrovseth, H. Staudenrausch (Eds.), 36th International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment, 11-15 May 2015, Berlin (ISPRS Archives, ISSN 2194-9034, vol. XL-7/W3 (2015)): 669-676.
- ĐURIĆ, Nataša – Peter PEHANI – Krištof OŠTIR, 2014, Application of in-segment multiple sampling in object-based classification. Remote sensing 6 (12): 12138-12165.
- KOKALJ, Žiga – Peter PEHANI – Helen GOODCHILD – Vincent L. GAFFNEY – Krištor OŠTIR, 2013, Crossing borders: a multi-layer GIS mapping framework for the cultural management of the Mundo Maya Region. In: Eugene Chang, Vincent L. Gaffney, Henry Chapman (Eds.), Visual heritage in the digital age, Springer series on cultural computing, London: Springer, 169-182.
- ŠPRAJC, Ivan – Peter PEHANI, Eds., 2013, Ancient cosmologies and modern prophets: Proceedings of the 20th Conference of the European Society for Astronomy in Culture. Anthropological Notebooks XIX, supplement, Ljubljana: Slovene Anthropological Society.
- VELJANOVSKI, Tatjana – Urška KANJIR – Peter PEHANI – Krištof OŠTIR – Primož KOVAČIČ, 2012, Object-based image analysis of VHR satellite imagery for population estimation in informal settlement Kibera-Nairobi, Kenya. In: Boris Escalante-Ramírez (Ed.), Remote sensing: applications, Rijeka: InTech, 407-434.
First Slovene satellite in orbit NEMO-HD and cooperation with SPACE-SI (18. march 2010 - 22. march 2023)
Relief Visualization Toolbox (RVT) (aplikativni • 02. september 2013 - 22. march 2023)
Anthropological and Spatial Studies (research programme • 01. january 2022 - 31. december 2027)
BSc of Physics, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, University of Ljubljana, 1996