Methodology of Multitemporal Multisensor Satellite Image Analysisresearch project
Project Executive on ZRCTatjana Veljanovski, PhD
Methodology of Multitemporal Multisensor Satellite Image Analysis
CollaboratorsTatjana Veljanovski, PhD, Aleš Marsetič, PhD, Maja Somrak
Durationsince July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2022
Faculty of Civil and Geodetic Engineering, University of Ljubljana
Prof. dr. Krištof Oštir, Faculty of Civil and Geodetic Engineering, UL
Financial SourceSlovenian Research Agency
This project objective is to systematically evaluate existing satellite image time series (pre)processing approaches and develop a general processing time series analysis workflow for various applications, combined with the in-depth study of the impact of time series data properties (like radiometric features and density) on time series analysis and applications.
The final reliability and usefulness of time series results for a selected application depend on the data quality, the length and density of time series and the selected processing methods. In the project, we will presume radiometric and geometric adequacy of satellite data, and focus more on the multi-sensor harmonization, the generation of time series and validation of the most critical processing steps and their effect on final quality of results.
The consistency of the data is one of the main prerequisites in time series analysis, therefore calibration of sensor and image differences and harmonization of time series are very important tasks.
In terms of this perspective, the project focuses on the following objectives:
• Development of a generic method for multi-sensor data calibration,
• Harmonization of different sensor data into a single, long and dense time series,
• Application of (massive) cloud data processing,
• Systematic evaluation of the latest time series analysis algorithms (software tools), and
• Observation of selected events and phenomena in Slovenia.
The goal is to facilitate multi-sensor data time series and achieve a multi-sensor harmonisation. The main objective of the project is to assess and improve the consistency of medium and high-resolution multi-sensor time series.
The work is divided into five work packages:
• WP 1: Data collection and analysis of multi-sensor fusion and calibration approaches
• WP 2: Generation of long and dense time series
• WP 3: Time series analysis
• WP 4: Evaluation of the time series processing methodology for selected applications
• WP 5: Project management