Research Fellow, BA (sociology of culture; cultural anthropology and ethnology)
Liza Debevec is a social anthropologist specializing in urban Africa and Burkina Faso in particular. In her PhD thesis, entitled Through the food lens: the politics of everyday life in urban Burkina Faso she focused on variety of aspects of everyday life among the poorer neighbourhoods of Burkina Faso’s second largest town, Bobo Dioulasso. Her postdoctoral research focused on issues related to everyday religious practice, again focusing on individual narratives, collecting life histories and case studies related to ideals and realities of life in urban Africa. She is the first Slovenian anthropologist to carry out fieldwork in Africa and has since the year 2000 carried out over 36 months of field research in Africa (mostly in Burkina Faso, but also short period in Cote d’Ivoire and Ethiopia). Between 2010 and July 2012 she is working as an expatriate Assistant Professor of Social Anthropology at Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia.
- SCHIELKE, Samuli, DEBEVEC, Liza (Eds), (2012), Ordinary lives and grand schemes: An anthropology of everyday religion. Oxford and New York: Berghahn books.
- DEBEVEC, Liza, (2012), Postponing piety - everyday Islam in urban Burkina Faso. In: SCHIELKE, Samuli, DEBEVEC, Liza (Eds.), Ordinary lives and grand schemes: An anthropology of everyday religion, Oxford and New York: Berghahn books, pp. 33-47.
- –––––, 2012, Women and Islam in urban Burkina Faso: piety between definitions and interpretation. In: AGWUELE, Augustine (Ed.), Development, Modernism and Modernity in Africa. New York and London: Routledge, 230-241.
- –––––, 2010, Kontinuiteta in spremembe v praznični prehrani pri muslimanih v urbanem Burkina Fasu = Continuity and change in festive food practices among Muslims in urban Burkina Faso (in Slovene), Dve domovini 31(1): 37-49.
- –––––, 2007, Religious practices: ablution purification, prayer, fasting, and piety, West Africa. In: JOSEPH, Suad, NAJMABADI, Afsaneh (Eds.), Encyclopedia of women & Islamic cultures, Leiden; Boston, Mass.: Brill, 5, 280-281.
BA of Sociology of Culture, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, 1999
BA of Cultural Anthropology and Ethnology, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, 1999
PhD in Social Anthropology, University of St Andrews (UK), 2005
social anthropology • urban anthropology • food • gender • identity • Islam • Africa • Burkina Faso • Ethiopia